Getting a good nights rest is essential to having a healthy lifestyle.
However, many Americans don’t always get rapid eye movement (REM) sleep, something which is a critical step in the sleeping process.
Here are some tips from Healthline to ensure you are getting enough REM sleep at night.
- Create a sleep schedule. – Go to sleep and wake up at the same time every day. This step helps your body to easily fall into REM sleep.
- Avoid caffeine and cigarettes in the evening. – these stimulants with disrupt your REM sleep cycle.
- Avoid alcohol. – Alcohol will certainly put you to sleep, however it will prevent REM sleep.
- Get into a relaxing routine. – Before bed, begin to develop a routine to help relax yourself. It could be calming sounds and music or even a warm bath.
- Exercise. – during the day, exercise for at least 20 minutes to half an hour at minimum.
- If you can’t fall asleep don’t lay in your bed. – If you have difficulty falling asleep get out of bed and do something until you feel sleepy again.
Health conditions and medications can affect your sleep patterns, speak to your doctor if you are having sleep difficulties.
* Additional Disclaimer: All content provided by this newsletter is for informational and educational purposes only and is not meant to represent trade, investment, or healthcare recommendations.